Wouldn’t it be great to have your own in-home barista? That’s pretty much what you’re getting when you have the Bosch Tassimo TAS4502GB Joy 2 Hot Drinks and Coffee Machine on your kitchen worktop.
With smart INTELLIBREW barcode technology and a massive amount of compatible coffee and other hot drinks available, this Bosch Tassimo coffee maker is remarkably versatile, and it can produce a wide variety of made-to-order beverages with speed and precision. While I’ve been slow to warm up to pod machines in the past (I actually enjoy grinding my own coffee), I have found this machine to be a great addition to my coffee-making repertoire, plus it keeps the wife happy (which is never a bad thing).
This Bosch Tassimo T45 review will cover the features, pros and cons of this highly capable machine, so that you can get a better picture of whether it will be the right fit for your kitchen or not.
Bosch Tassimo T45 review
What I like
- Super-easy to use
- Wide variety of flavour options
- BRITA filter and INTELLIBREW system
- Heats up quickly
What I don’t like
- Tendency to drip
- Not for coffee hipsters
What are you buying?
The Bosch Tassimo T45 Joy 2 was designed to provide a cafe-style experience for coffee enthusiasts who like to keep the variety going with their hot drinks.
While the Joy 2 makes excellent cups of regular coffee, it can also whip up any number of specialty hot drinks by way of the expansive variety of T-DISC coffee pods that are available for this machine. These T-DISCS work in concert with the T45’s INTELLIBREW home brewing system, a brilliant feature that scans the barcode on the T-DISC and identifies the precise brewing specifications for that particular drink (e.g., temperature, brewing time duration, water level, etc.).
The Joy 2 then executes those instructions with pinpoint accuracy, delivering a customized coffee or coffeehouse-style beverage in only 60 seconds. Whether you prefer coffee, espresso, lattes, tea, hot chocolate, or an iced beverage, the Joy 2 can brew it up and deliver it to you in a flash, without you having to leave the comfort of your home to get it.
There are T-DISCs available for practically any drink preference you can think of, including flavourful treats from well-loved brands such as Kenco, Costa, Cadbury, Oreo and Carte Noir, not to mention the impressive number of Twinings teas that are compatible with this machine.
I really appreciate the BRITA water filtration system that is built into the unit as well, which keeps the water clean and contributes to a more flavourful drink.
One of the most outstanding features of this machine is its innovative and ultra-fast Flow-Through Water Heater, which quickly heats up the water as soon as the machine is turned on; this means that you essentially spend zero time waiting around for the machine to heat up. Not only that, but the Joy 2 also features an auto-off function, which gives this machine high marks in terms of its overall energy efficiency.
Here are some of the other features of the Joy 2 that really stood out to me:
- While the Joy 2 can make a mean T-DISC beverage, it also does a fantastic job of frothing milk, creating exceptional cremas for your favorite lattes, cappuccinos, macchiatos, etc.
- The water reservoir is generously sized, with a 1.2-litre removable tank for easy access to refills. As I’m sure you are well aware, a larger water tank equals less trips to the sink, boosting the convenience factor by a significant degree
- Customization is the hallmark of this machine; it has a changeable drink size control button, as well as an adjustable cup stand that can accommodate a variety of different mug sizes
- If you’re concerned about loud brewing in the morning, you’ll be glad to know that the Joy 2 features an excellent noise reduction system that enables you to prepare your drinks with minimal racket (a blessing to your flatmates, no doubt)
- There are 5 different cup sizes to choose from for your brewing; they run from 4 oz to 16 oz
- The Joy 2 features a height-adjustable drip tray
- The interface is intuitive and very user-friendly, with push-button controls and an LED status indicator that is (thankfully) easy to read
- Not only does the Joy 2 feature an automatic shut-off function, but it operates with zero watt hours in standby mode, making it highly energy-efficient all around
- The Joy 2 comes with a special servicing T-DISC that is utilised in its automatic cleaning and descaling program.
Did I mention that the machine is stylish? I know looks aren’t everything, but it’s great to have a machine of this calibre that also looks elegant in the kitchen.
- Type: Capsules
- Material: Plastic, Stainless Steel
- Ground coffee: No
- Coffee beans: No
- Capsules: Yes
- ESE pods: No
- Size: 33.3 cm x 23 cm x 28.9 cm
- Weight: 3.3kg
- Water capacity: 1.4l
How easy is it to use?
The great thing about the Bosch Tassimo T45 Joy 2 is that you don’t have to have professional barista-level skills just to use the thing. There are tons of fantastic coffee makers and espresso machines on the market, but many times their design and interface panels are so convoluted that they can simply intimidate the average user who’s not a coffee brewing expert.
With the Joy 2, you can prepare a barista-style drink in only 60 seconds with nothing more than a touch of a button–not bad for those of us who aren’t coffee preparation prodigies!
Cleaning is also a hassle-free task as well; the Joy 2 features wipe-down surfaces, and as mentioned earlier, it comes with a handy servicing T-DISC for cleaning and descaling with minimal fuss.
As far as size goes, the unit doesn’t take up much worktop space at all, and it only weighs 6.8 pounds (empty), so you won’t pull a muscle any time you have to lift it up or shift it over when you’re cleaning your kitchen.
What accessories are included?
The Joy 2 is pretty much a self-contained unit, which means that there aren’t any accessories needed; the design of the machine covers it all. The only thing you need to supply is the water and the T-DISCs, and off you go. Whether you want a Carte Noire Cappuccino, a Costa Caramel Latte or a nice Oreo-infused drink, all you have to do is load up the T-DISC and the machine can make you whichever beverage you prefer. The fact that the Joy 2 offers so much versatility along with top-notch simplicity is perhaps one of its strongest selling points.
Key features of Bosch Tassimo T45
- Super-easy to use; prepares coffee and hot drinks with just the push of a button
- Heats up quickly
- Wide variety of T-DISC flavour options
- BRITA filter ensures clean water
- Your drink is prepared in only 60 seconds
- INTELLIBREW system ensures optimal flavour, temperature and drink size
For the most part, this machine gives me nothing to complain about. One slight issue I discovered was a tendency for drips from previous pods to land on the glass lens that protects the barcode scanner. This can make it difficult for the machine to read the barcode for the next pod. You can quickly sort the issue by wiping the area with a cloth, but it’s just slightly inconvenient.
Anything else you should know?
When you hear reviews about the Bosch Tassimo T45 Joy 2, most of the time the emphasis is placed on the sheer versatility of the machine due to its INTELLIBREW system, which is indeed impressive. However, what often goes under-emphasised is how well this machine can heat up your coffee! Every cup comes out steaming hot, and full of flavour.
If you’re like me, you just want a coffee machine that can deliver consistent results without requiring you to jump through hoops to get a decent cup of coffee. Not only does the Bosch Tassimo T45 Joy 2 offers outstanding versatility, but it’s a refreshing break from those unnecessarily complex coffee machines that make brewing coffee an arduous process. For an uncomplicated machine that makes it easy to make delicious coffee and other hot drinks, you really can’t go wrong with the Joy 2.
Bosch Tassimo T45 Review
Bosch Tassimo T45 Joy 2 offers outstanding versatility, and is an uncomplicated machine that makes it easy to make delicious coffee and other hot drinks.